Saturday, July 18, 2009

a different kind of day



I spent the first hours of my birthday with my friend Kai, who had just been to South Korea for 9 months for an exchange program, in a bar and resto in SM North mall. We first watch Harry Potter 6 in an IMAX theater at 8:30 pm July 17. So after that we had a few drinks to talk about her experiences there and mine here.
I never thought that i would be spending the first few hours of my birthday with her. She is one of my close friends but not one of the closest. I'm sorry for the confusing notion. I have a lot of friends. But only I have one best friend. It really doesn't make sense if you have more than one. That's why they call it the "best" friend. And I have a few close friends.

There is always the thought of spending important days of your life, lets say your birhtday, with the people who matter to you the most. But this time it was different.
It was kind of refreshing. I told myself to not make my birthday a big deal. So I planned not to plan. Just a simple birthday meal with family is ok.

And so, that was what happened. I went home after our drink and I got home at around 3 am. Went to sleep for a few hours then I was woke up at 7 am to participate in a some what religious ritual. My family is Catholic. They are real devotes to the faith. But I am a Christian. So these king of rituals and traditions are really not that interesting for me. I was a bit irritated because I was forced to participate. But it was all good. It was my day. I thought.
My mom prepared dinner for all the family. I bought my own cake. I bought it at a bakeshop that I loved. It was good. The food. The people. Everything. It was simple and nice.

After that I was immediately transformed into a chauffeur. My younger sister had to go at a party and so I drove her and her friends to the venue. Ian and two of my cousins went along to keep me company. After dropping them off we went to a Krispy Kreme. It was fun. It was time spent well. I bonded with them over doughnuts and coffee. It was another ccc. It felt good.
It was a different kind of day. It was special.

celebrating life,
airon

No comments:

Post a Comment